Friday, April 30, 2010

Rested and Ready

O soft embalmer of the still midnight,
Shutting, with careful fingers and benign,

Our gloom-pleas'd eyes, embower'd from the light,
Enshaded in forgetfulness divine:
O soothest Sleep! if so it please thee, close
In midst of this thine hymn my willing eyes ...

The poetry of John Keats has never meant more to me!  I finally got some sleep (8 wonderful hours of it).  Now I'm ready for the day.  We start today with a walking tour of Riga.  We are staying in an enchanting, old hotel called The Loraine.  It is located in downtown Riga.  Half the population of Latvia lives in Riga, which boasts close to a million residents.  I'm especially looking forward to the "Occupation Museum," a record of the living nightmare this country experienced under Communist rule.  I'm sure it will give me a deeper appreciation for the people God has called me to preach to over the next nine days.  It is impossible to imagine what they have been through.  The human spirit is an amazing creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment