Friday, May 14, 2010

Rain, Rain (don't) Go Away ...

I'm sitting at my favorite corner booth at Panera Bread, working on my sermon and a Turkey Sandwich, potato chips, and cheddar soup (not necessarily in that order) ... and watching the rain.  Actually, I've taken a break from the sermon and am mostly watching the rain. I love the rain (when I'm not stuck in it).  People with colorful umbrellas are darting to and fro ... leaping over puddles and fumbling with their keys.  Inside a few are whistfully staring at the light May shower, probably wishing they could be at home in bed (or maybe that's just me). 

The rain has a calming effect.  It makes me feel at peace.  Like God knows what we need and is always ready to provide it.  I lived for 10 years in McAllen which is still, to some degree, a farming community.  I learned from the farmers in the church that the rain is important ... vitally so ... but it's not enough for it to simply rain.  It has to be the right amount of rain, in the right places, at the right time.  Silly me.  I was just praying for rain.  I had no idea I needed to be praying more specifically for a particular kind of rain!

And yet ... even with my woefully inadequate prayers ... God provides the rain.  The right kind at the right time in the right place.  He never ceases to amaze me ... NOW ... if he would just give me the rest of this sermon ...
.

No comments:

Post a Comment