Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Whom Do I Fear?

"The LORD is my light and my salvation -- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life -- of whom shall I be afraid?" (Psalm 27:1)

The Psalmist asks the question that Paul asked, "If God is for us who can be against us?" (Rom.8:31b). Who will bring any charge against us? Who will condemn us? Who will separate us from God? Paul's answer: no one or nothing. The implication, of course, is that we have nothing to fear. Just like the Psalmist says, "of whom shall I be afraid?" Scriptures answer to rhetorical question -- no one. My answer -- how much time do you have? My list is long. Do not be afraid, says God. 

Easier said than done. 

Lent is the season for reflection on God's saving act in Jesus Christ. It gets us ready for Easter. It's the time when I confront my fear and doubt. I name it. I confess all my sins. I name them. I bring them out of the closet and air them out. I sweep them from the dark shadows of my life into the light. Nothing is ever as scary once it is out in the light. Yet everything inside of me shutters at the thought of bringing my sins into the light. I know God forgives them. I don't care. I don't want them in the light. 

The Apostles' Creed ends with:
I believe in the Holy Spirit,
the holy catholic (universal) Church,
the communion of saints,
the forgiveness of sins,
the resurrection of the body,
and the life everlasting,
Amen.

But do we really? Do we really believe in the forgiveness of sins? I want to believe. 

Easier said than done.

Psalm 27 was the Psalm reading for last Sunday. It is a psalm of David. Tradition has it that it was a royal psalm sung before the king went into battle or possibly at the annual celebration of his coronation. The king would sing the first six verses, then the congregation would respond with verses seven through thirteen, and finally, the priest would pronounce a divine oracle, which is verse 14. 

In later practice of Judaism, continuing to this day, Psalm 27 has played a central role in the "Days of Awe" (Yamim Noraim), being recited in the synagogue during each of the Ten Holy Days. The Ten Holy Days consist of Rosh Hashanah ("Jewish New Year"), Yom Kippur ("Day of Atonement"), and the eight days in between. They are part of the 40 day penitential period in the Jewish Calendar, which leads to the Holiest Day (Yom Kippur) -- the Day of Atonement when the High Priest enters the Holy of Holies to intercede for the people's sins.

The Ten Holy Days are a time in which the Jews mediate on the meaning of God's forgiveness and atonement. It is also a time to ask forgiveness from anyone they have wronged -- To get their sins out into the light. Psalm 27 is recited at the end of morning and evening prayers. And the shofar (ram's horn) is blown at the end of morning prayers throughout the week. 

It is a beautiful ritual designed to focus the people on their own sins and failings and, more importantly, the forgiveness found in God. The ritual reminds them of what happens to our fear and doubt when we get it out into God's light. The ritual and the Psalm are designed to draw our attention to the ONE who is in ultimate control of our destiny. 

It's interesting to me that the Psalm begins with a statement of confidence. When the enemy attacks me, "they WILL stumble and fall." Even if an overpowering army comes against me, "my heart WILL NOT fear ... even then WILL I be confident!" (v.2-3). But the psalmist isn't confident all the way through. At one point the song begins to plead with God for protection. "Hear my voice ... answer me ... do not hide your face from me ... do not reject me or forsake me ... do not turn me over to the desires of my foes ..." (v.7-12). These are the desperate pleas of the singer who has lost his confidence. It's no wonder that the Psalm ends with the encouragement of the priest, who is saying, "Wait for it ... it's coming ... don't give up ... don't lose hope ... waaaaaaaaaaaaaait for iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit." 

Easier said than done.

We learned on Sunday that Abram was losing hope of ever having a child. He was plagued with fear and doubt. At the pinnacle of his fear and doubt he made the decision to believe God anyway. He decided to keep on living as though the child were already his -- as though the promise were already fulfilled. And because of that "trust against all odds," God pronounced Abram, "Good Enough." Abram didn't need to be afraid because God was in control of his destiny. 

Abram was still afraid. He still had doubts. But his destiny was secure. If God's salvation depended entirely on my faith, I would be in big trouble ... and so would you. God saves us in spite of ourselves. We will still have fear. We will still have doubt. But we don't HAVE to. God has pronounced us "Good Enough!" God has saved us! Easter shows us that it wasn't easy. But it is DONE. 

Assignment for this week:
Do something to encourage someone who might be losing hope.





No comments:

Post a Comment